“When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money.”
This prophecy is becoming a more and more brutal reality. But, even today, not every person is aware of the horrible effects our lifestyles have on nature.
Here are some reminders about how you can contribute to saving our one and only planet. Population boom and fossil fuel based technological advancements have taken a serious toll on our natural environment. So now we need to do our part in reversing the effects of degradation in order for humanity to continue living in a habitable and sustainable way.
In essence, the 3 R’s –Reduce, Reuse and Recycle are still as relevant and important as ever.
Here are 10 simple ways to conserve and protect the environment through small changes to your daily routine for a better world for you, your family, your community and all living things now and forever.
1. Create a compost heap in your society garden or use a compost bin. This helps recycle food waste and other biodegradable materials.
2. When going shopping, make it a habit to bring your own eco-bags and say no to plastic bags as much as possible.
3. Join as many tree planting trips as you can with Thane Municipal Corporation & other NGO’s.
4. If possible, try carpooling to work, business presentations, events, or even to run errands. Think of ways you can reduce the number of trips you make using your car, bike, etc.
5. Reduce emissions from cars by walking or cycling if you work close by from home. These are not just great alternatives to driving, they are also great exercise.
6. Use public transport, when you can, for everyday travel.
7. Send your drinking bottles, paper, used oil, old batteries and used tires to a depot for recycling or safe disposal; all these cause very serious pollution.
8. Do not pour chemicals and waste oil on to the ground or into drains leading to bodies of water.
9. Wherever possible, separate biodegradable and recyclable waste from non-biodegradable and work to reduce the amount of non-biodegradable or recyclable waste.
10. Reduce the amount of meat you eat, or even better become vegetarian.
These are Small Ways to Conserve and Protect Our Environment and make Thane City a good example to India & the world.